An eye-opening blog

This blog will ask you to remind yourself that other people in the world are struggling to get by on a day-to-day basis.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A platform for me... and I guess for you too.

As I kick off this blog, I've thought about what I want it to be.

I've seen the various blogs cover topics ranging from the expense of raising children in Bergen County to the shidduch crisis in the 21st century. I think the back-and-forth fighting between the ultra-modern orthodox and the right-wing yeshiva orthodox crowd has been covered ad nausem, and let's face it, nobody was really interested in that in the first place. I even saw a blog that turned our current President into various farm animals, complete with real-life barn sounds. (Respectfully and in a classy manner, no doubt!)

Here's what I haven't seen: a blog that addresses the plight of the struggling families in Bergen County. Or if there is such a blog, then it's not getting the attention it should. My preference is that this blog should be a forum for people to express (in full, bold color) the detail of their stories and the depths of their troubles. My plans to launch this blog were fueled by some of the posts and comments I've seen on other blogs about the Bergen County community.

When I read the viciousness and the biting sarcasm behind some of the posts on other blogs, I wonder if the posters truly understand the magnitude of the financial damage that people like me are in. If they don't, this blog may serve to educate them. If they do and they still make these callous comments, at least we'll have a better window into how far the Jewish community has fallen from previous generations and their generous nature and spirit of togetherness.

We're up and running... I encourage people to share with us their individual stories of difficulty and hardship. For those of you who are comfortable with writing a guest post, that certainly will be an option as well. I will share my own stories of hardship and hopefully, we'll get a better understanding and appreciation of each other.

No comments: